Re: Questions to candidates

Hi,

Andreas has asked a lot of the questions that I intended to ask as
well, so I only need to amend one question he asked.

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 03:20:16PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
>   2. Recently we had some flamewars about concentration of "power" for
>      some people inside Debian.  While I'm much more relaxed than many
>      others and save my time for work instead of fighting flame wars
>      I have one certain question here.  How do you see the role of
>      James Troup in the project?

2a. Do you see the concentration of many important roles on a few
    people as a problem? As example, I'd like to name DAM, keyring
    maintenance, release management, ftpmaster, listmaster and buildd
    coordination. While some of these roles are indeed officially
    shared among a team, practice shows that usually there is only one
    member of the teams acting publicly, with the others more or less
    acting as backup.

    Additionally, these teams don't seem to communicate well
    internally. Do you see a problem when a request posed to a team is
    rejected along the lines of "try again with another member"?

    The situation might be influenced as well by the fact that there
    are people on multiple important roles in Debian, and these people are
    notoriously overworked. Wouldn't it be better to allow only one or two
    important roles per person? What would you define an "important
    role"?

    Will you try to improve this situation during your term of office?
    What do you intend to do?

    How will you answer if somebody asks you about your opinion on
    "Debian being actually run by a cabal of at most six people"?

    What would be your answer if somebody would suggest amending the
    constitution to move some of the "important roles" from being
    delegates of the DPL to being elected by the body of the
    developers?

I am asking these questions because I am deeply disappointed with the
way technical, procedural and communicative problems are handled by
the project, and the DPL vote is the only way a mere mortal developer
can influence the distribution of important roles in the Debian
project. Thus, we need your answers to be able to choose the DPL who
will try to solve the problems outlined above, and I surely hope that
the three of you will answer differently ;) .

Thanks for answering.

Greetings
Marc

Karlsruhe, Germany |  lose things."    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 721 966 32 15
Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 721 966 31 29