Re: Questions to candidates

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 09:37:25AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Branden Robinson wrote
>
> [ Sorry if I do not answer right inside the thread but the "Reply to"
>   links in the webform do not work as expected and I did not subscribed
>   to the list.  Please CC me, if you want to avoid this.]
>
> > I'm not sure I can give you the kind of answer you're looking for.
>
> Why do you expect me to look for a certain answer.  I just had the feeling
> that some things should be discussed.  According to my point of view asking
> questions is no expression of critics.

Okay.  Some people ask questions with the aim of promoting discussion;
others ask questions because they want to draw people out about specific
things.

I try to answer both types of questions as best I can.  Sorry for any
confusion.

> But Debien Leadership is no concern of personal feelings but representation
> to outsiders.

I think it's both.  A DPL who is completely indifferent to the personal
feelings of those he leads is probably not going to be successful.

I agree that representation to outsiders is important.  I think it's
important that our Constitution, and our description of our
organization, be accurate; not some window dressing we throw up and
which isn't the way Debian really works.

> I just wanted to make sure that the future DPL is able to explain
> things to outsiders the correct way.

I agree.  I think the most efficient way to do this is to ensure that we
live up to the standards we have set for ourselves in our governing
documents; and if that is not possible or we've found it to be the
unwise course, we should amend those governing documents to reflect the
facts.

> > This is an overreaching statement.  How can you know whether or not he
> > accepts criticism?  That he reacts to it (or not), doesn't tell you what
> > he does with it internally.
> There is no open archive of debian-private but I have some mails stored
> in my private archive which leaded to this conclusion IMHO.

I'm not sure it's fruitful to ground public conclusions (on -vote) on
premises that have to remain private.  If nothing else, it leaves
non-Debian-Developers following our election process almost completely
in the dark.

Moreover, there are many Debian developers who are not subscribed to
debian-private.

> Again - I have no personal problem with this as long as work is done
> fine - but the DPL might have to face this situation.

I agree.  The DPL has to be prepared to cope with grievances against
delegates, or people functioning pretty much as delegates were intended
to.

> > You're making pretty strong statements for someone who claims to have
> > not been personally mistreated by James.  It's fine to be an advocate
> > for people who do feel that way, but I think such advocacy needs to
> > stick to objectively demonstrable facts.
> I pointed the person in question to this URL in the archive.  He might
> comment on.  I will not quote debian-private mails in public and so I
> can not demonstrate here what leaded me to the statements I did.

I think we should try to conduct the DPL campaign openly, and if there
are certain highly-sensitive issues that can't be discussed on an open
list, we're simply going to have to find a way to frame them that makes
sense to outsiders, or even eligible voters who don't follow every
flamewar over personnel issues closely.

To that end, I suggest that it is best if we do not personalize the DPL
campaign.  I'm not sure it is wise or fair to use one of our membership
as a symbol.

> I did not want to inject real-world politics here.  I know you from Oslo
> and I have no need to ask about your political opinion.  I just wanted
> to know if the future DPL leader would have problems to travel to one or
> the other country which might be a constraint to his Debian related
> work.

No problem; I hope my answer elucidated this point.  If not, please
explain its deficiencies to me and I will try again.  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Any man who does not realize that
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    he is half an animal is only half a