Re: "keep non-free" proposal

Em Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:44:41 -0500, Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> escreveu:

> On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 01:41:25PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> > That may be what we're promising now, but what I would like to see
> > the social contract state is that we are not going to distribute or promote
> > non-free software or software which is dependent on non-free software.
>
> And, by "non-free", you mean stuff like GFDL licensed documentation?

Stuff that we define as non-free in the DFSG. If that includes the GFDL,
so be it. I've already decided I'm going to release my documentation under
the GPL after Debian stated that the GFDL is not DFSG-compatible.

> Or software which contains a clause such as "this can only be distributed
> on media which contains only DFSG licensed software"?

This would be non-DFSG, so "non-free". It's not about limiting what users
do. It's about what *we* do under the 'Debian' name.

> What I want to know is: why don't you want us distributing such thing?

Because I consider that Debian should not be promoting non-free software,
and having them on our ftp servers and, specially, mentioned in our install
process is a way of promoting them. Our priorities are our users *and*
free software, and I would like that to be lived up.

Against AJ's arguments, I would say the same level of cooperation would
be achieved if someone would work with non-free upstreams outside their
Debian duties.

People are maintaining stuff like apt-get.org, and many repositories all
around, so I don't see the extreme difficulty behind doing it outside Debian's
infrastructure.

> Or, if you do want us distributing such things, why do you claim that
> you don't?

That would be contraditory, wouldn't it? =).

[]s!

PS: yes, sorry for reviving this months old discussion, but I didn't feel
like the position I present was being stated as it should.

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>
Debian:  <http://www.debian.org>  *  <http://www.debian-br.org>