Re: General Resolution: Handling of the non-free section

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 02:14:40PM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> Umm.... this is very confusing.  Are we expected to cast votes for
> both the amendment and the general resolution at the same time?

Yes. The ballot will look like:

	[   ] Remove non-free
	[   ] Keep non-free
	[   ] Further discussion

You can vote:

	123   "Remove non-free. Either way, make a decision: we've discussed
	       this long enough."
	213   "Keep non-free. Either way, make a decision."
	132   "Remove non-free. The keep non-free proposal hasn't been well
	       thought through enough to be voted for at the moment."
	312 * "Keep non-free. The remove non-free proposal hasn't been well
	       thought through enough to be voted for at the moment."
	231 * "This issue hasn't been discussed as fully as it needs to be,
	       but of the proposals on the table, Removing non-free makes
	       more sense."
	321 * "This issue hasn't been discussed as fully as it needs to be,
	       but of the proposals on the table, Keeping non-free makes
	       more sense."
	1--   "Remove non-free, no opinion on keeping non-free versus
	       more discussion"
	-1-   "Keep non-free, no opinion on dropping non-free versus more
	       discussion"
	--1 * "More discussion."

The possible votes marked with a * indicate the votes which would be
counted against the supermajority required for changing the social
contract to pass the "drop non-free" resolution.

> Whether or not the Amendment carries is going to make an extreme and
> material different as to how I would vote on the General Resolution,
> since the Amendmend effectively changes the sense of the Resolution by
> 180 degrees.

You don't vote on "shall the resolution be carried in whichever form it's
put", you vote on "which form of the resolution shall be put and carried".

> If we are forced to cast both votes at the same time, someone who
> wants to keep non-free and who votes aye to both the Amendment and the
> Resolution may find themselves inadvertently voting to ditch non-free.

And you at no point vote "aye". It's pure preferential.

HTH.

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.