Re: Subject: Proposal - keep non-free, but commit to actively encouraging making individual packages obsolet

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 02:03:29PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 07:14:14PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > So, i ask the people who are interested in such a proposal, or even which are
> > interested in providing one more option for the vote, to second this proposal,> and to help me making the necessary word changes that may be necessary.
>
> I like mine better -- I think I deal with some issues that yours doesn't.
>
> Tell me if you agree.
>
> I'd like to encourage people who think my proposal is worthwhile to
> second it [that includes you, Sven, if you like it enough].

Actually, i like your proposal too, i even seconded it already. I hadn't
received it when i sent mine though.

That said, you say :

       Additionally, we will work to provide free alternatives to
       non-free software so people who using only free software can work
       with users of non-free software.

Which means moslty the same as what i propose, mmm, maybe there is
something not so clear here. I don't like the turn of this phrase, maybe
it should be "people who use only free software" or something such ?

Also, this means that we will provide free alternatives, which is a bit
more but also a bit less than what i propose. In my proposal the free
alternatives could well not be packaged (yet). But on the same time, my
proposal will not only make us provide free alternatives, but also we
will commit to providing a current status information of what the free
alternative are, and where they stand in functionality with regard to
the non-free package. Other details of my proposal are maybe best left
to technical details.

Friendly,

Sven Luther