Re: one of the many reasons why removing non-free is a dumb idea

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 03:52:15PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> I wonder whether it would be possible/helpful if reportbug would get
> modified so as to ask the user "You seemingly want to submit a bug for a
> non-free package to the Debian BTS. Debian does not distribute non-free
> anymore. Do you want to submit it to submit@bugs.nonfree.org
> instead [Y/n]?"
>
> Additionally, one should be able to tell reportbug to just use the
> alternative location.

Some time in the last millenium, there was general tentative agreement
that there should be a package header which is an email address for
reporting of bugs, and that bugs@debian.org could be the default.

I seem to recall that that died because of a mix about concerns with
backwards compatability with dpkg (which could have been worked around
by abusing some Description: in some fashion), and concern about the
long term stability of email addresses (but few thought it a good idea
to have debian host some kind of updatable list of bug contact addresses).

FYI,

--
Raul