Re: Revoking non-free less violently

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:05:33PM -0800, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:57:20AM -0600, Brian McGroarty wrote:
> > Instead of severing non-free all at once, why not try and phase it out
> > more progressively?
> It doesn't take a wild imagination to guess that if any proposal to
> remove non-free passes it will either involve or lead to some sort of
> process to help people transition away from non-free or, much more
> likely IMHO, to move it fully intact outside of Debian.

If that's what you want to have happen, it should be in the resolution.

The resolution Andrew Suffield has put forward requires us to
"cease active support of the non-free section" as part of its
implementation. While it's presumably reasonable for that to not be
instantaneous, it wouldn't be a Good Thing if resolutions that had
already been approved by a supermajority could be arbitrarily delayed
in the name of "transition periods".

> So far, people seem to be taking the position that it will better to
> first vote on whether or not we're going to move in this direction (a
> super majority decision) and then, once that decision is made to focus
> on the details.

Cut first, measure later?

Cheers,
aj