Re: GR: Removal of non-free

On Jan 3, 2004, at 02:15, Martin Schulze wrote:

Not really. They don't have all the features of the Sun implementation,
and much (most?) java software doesn't work with them.

That, however, is no reason to avoid Free Software being added to
Debian.  Having them in main could encourage people to work on
them.

I think I wasn't clear enough. Many Java applications will not run on any free JVM, because the free JVMs aren't complete enough. Certainly the JVMs go in main, but the applications that don't work with the free JVMs must stay in contrib: Social Contract 1 makes that fairly clear.

Because they don't, as far as their maintainers know, work with any
Java in main.

That's something the community (we as well) should work on.

At least members of the community interested in Java.