Re: Candidate social contract amendments (part 1: editorial)

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 02:56:27PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > guidelines that we use to determine if a work is "free" in the
> > document called the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We will support
> > people who create or use non-free works on Debian, but we will never
> > make the system require the use of a non-free component.
>
> 	No promise, implied or otherwise, that Debian itself will
>  actually follow these guidelines.

What do you actually mean here? The DFSG is for determining whether a
work is free; I don't see how "Debian itself will actually follow
[them]" is anything but a type error, since "Debian itself" isn't
software... unless you're referring to the stuff clause 2 deals with
("new components will be licensed [according to the DFSG]").

I think at least one of us has missed the point here.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |