    Michael> This last one could be considered on-topic for -vote in
    Michael> the context of this unholy GR, but I rather think it's
    Michael> abuse of it, as we have a release team for this kind of
    Michael> issue.

It is not abuse of the process for the project as a whole to decide
that it disagrees with a decision that some part of the project has
made.  It should be done rarely; it should be done in a way that
minimizes feelings that people's work is not appreciated.

However I think it is dangerous to say that the project should not or
especially cannot chose as a whole to disagree with part of itself.

I even think this issue might be important enough that voting on it is
reasonable.  However if it came to a vote today I'd almost certainly
vote to support the release team.