On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 06:15:23PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Uh, nope, wrong...  We're going to be moving to multiarch on all archs,
> so this just isn't accurate.

You've yet to demonstrate any conflict between 64/32 bit userland
and multiarch.

The only conflict I've seen is the decision to make /lib be the
default directory for 64 bit libraries on amd64.  This has
little if anything to do with multiarch -- multiarch certainly
does not require this.

> > I've got 64+32 bit userland because my toolchain (binutils+gcc+libc)
> > was built that way.
>
> That doesn't work for Debian though, it's no where near that simple.  At
> one point we did have a biarch toolchain almost entirely built, but
> that's not really the issue here- it's changing all of the library
> packages which will be quite a bit of pain.

How much pain?

Why did you give up on biarch?

[Was it only because "multiarch is better than biarch"?]

Thanks,

--
Raul