* Raul Miller (moth@debian.org) wrote:
> Those are two reasons.
>
> Unfortunately, the current debian amd64 port doesn't look like it supports
> cedega (forinstance).

It does support a number of commercial binaries though already, for
those that need them.  Many of us don't.

> More generally, by not providing 32 bit support, we're reducing the
> bang/buck ratio.

Not by much considering the only place this is really a problem is where
you need both 32bit and 64bit applications running at the same time and
interoperating with each other - rather rare in *reality*.

> > It currently looks like ia32 will be replaced by amd64/ia32e as both
> > AMD64 and intel are changing the products and adding the
> > 64-bit extension does not seem to be very expensive for the CPU
> > manufacturers.
>
> Agreed.  And, Debian's amd64 currently isn't positioned to be useful in
> this sense.

Not positioned to be useful?  Where the hell do you get that idea from?
Do you even *use* Debian?  Do you realize that 97% (or whatever) of
Debian is already *available* on Debian's amd64?

	Stephen