On 2004-07-13 22:48:28 +0100 Frank Pennycook <frank@pennycook.net> wrote:

Surely it is not so much a technical issue as a policy issue?

Then someone should explain why it is non-technical. Technical policy is not normally decided by GR.

Since
different opinions are being expressed, then in a democracy it would
seem valid to decide it by voting.

I have been told that debian is not a democracy. It just votes sometimes.

[...]
I can understand that these questions are controversial. I don't quite
understand why the suggestion to vote on it is controversial.

Most likely this is controversial because the proposed GR is ranty and unclear about what policy statement it is seeking to issue, or what decisions it is seeking to overturn. The rationale was missing basic data that is necessary for someone new to the subject to form an informed opinion about it. At best, it is botched in its current form and I hope that amendments from the people with the missing information are accepted. As ever, I am amazed by the stuff some people will second.

"Matthew Garrett is quite the good sort of fellow, despite what
my liver is sure to say about him in [...] 40 years" -- branden