On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 12:39:55PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 02:56:09PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > At the rate we're currently going, I don't really expect to be able to
> > achieve this this year. In light of the new Social Contract, however,
> > I don't believe there are any other decisions I can make in this area.
>
> now that the Knights Lunar have proved that they are Holier Than
> Stallman, can they just get on with the job of killing debian
> quickly?  watching and waiting for it to die slowly is both painful
> and unpleasant.

Actually, this may be useful.  If this inspires the pragmatists to go
make a "Debian Useful" variant that actually has documentation,
firmware, fonts, etc. then the fringe fanatics that want to spend all
of their time arguing over the Social Contract can do that.  This, of
course, assumes that people worked on Debian because they were
interested in technical excellence.

If instead, it turns out there are significant numbers of people who
believe their participation in Debian is really more about proving
that they are Holier Than Stallman, those that *are* interested in
making something useful for their users have their choice of either
(a) trying to see if they have the votes to shut-out the fanatics, (b)
try to build something useful that uses Debian as a base, and leaves
the insanity behind, or (c) join the Fedora project, or some other
distribution.

Personally, I'm still trying to decide myself what is going to happen
with Debian.  Is it a bunch of fanatics who are more interested in
philosophy than technology, in which case it is an open question
whether the next release of Debian stable will happen before or after
a stable, usable version of the Hurd, or is it something more than
that?  Only time will tell.

But if there are any pragamatists who haven't left in disgust, you
should speak out, lest the Knights Lunar demonstrate that they really
are all that's left of Debian developer community.

						- Ted