Re: "keep non-free" proposal

On 2004-03-12 10:36:58 +0000 Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:24:38AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
Did you fill a bug report against mpg123 asking for just that ?
Is it a bug?  Currently, there is no sense in my mind in which
"unnecessarly in non-free" constitutes a bug.  We have no policy, of
any kind, which says that only necessary things should be in non-free.
I don't understand you. You claim that all the packages in non-free
should go, and when i point you out a method on how to do that, you
refuse to do that and speak bureaucrasy.

It seems reasonable to ask whether the maintainer can just close or ignore the bug as invalid before N people file M bugs against non-free with apparent replacements in main.

Make sure that the package is indeed fully replaced though.

Here we go again. mpg123 can resample output, while mpg321 supporters say another piece of free software can be used for that and it's better to do one thing well. Certain other non-free maintainers defend their package's user interface or IMO pointless extra options. If that's OK, then filing "replaceable by" bugs against non-free seems not to achieve anything.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at