Re: Re: Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

I, being a man, am also scarried when interacting with Debian webpage or mailing list. I'm not too confident about my skills, and I feel something like "we know the way, please don't tell us Your opinion" around Debian. Maybe I feel wrong, but if this is what does scare You too, than maybe some positive change of mind would help.

I don't feel much interest in my opinion how I wish Debian could evolve. I'm quite active in bug reporting systems of Mozilla and OpenOffice.org, I did some questions in DOSEmu.org and Kernel.org, and some suggestions to DECP, and all I have encountered was correct and my issues were invited. I don't want be sentimental, but in contrast I really fear reporting a bug to Debian :o) I await an answer of "You don't understand it, and such issues will be counted in 3 years" or "hte fixed package already is in testing, why do You use old stable one?" type.

Maybe the versioning system is THAT what causes the lack of interaction. The system is very rigid and done much more in "cathedral" than "bazaar" style. All I can do is wait 2 years for the next stable release. I cannost use testing because there's "no support" for it, and the 3 times I downloaded actual sarge release (last time it was in september), I was not able even get it working. I also tryed to "upgrade" woody to testing, but it ends up with totally dependency-broken system. In most cases I cannot even test single packages from testing, because I cannot install the requested new libc6 etc. because it brakes my woody's dependencies. The woody packages strictly demand the woody's version of the libraries, and don't accept newer ones. Thus it's difficult (impossible for me) to have USEFUL system for work, and DO THE TESTING in the same time.

Why I'm talking about it? Because I usually use alpha and beta versions of Mozilla and OpenOffice.org, wine and DOSEMU, I tested 2.6 kernel, and had no problem installing, using and upgrading it. If I discovered error, I reported it. I don't rely on stable versions, if I can succesfully use (do my work using) the development ones and help testing. I like helping community. But how can I help test the Debian? Woody is white-haired old man, there's no sense to report bugs for packages that are SUCH old and bugs are usually fixed in any newer version. What should I report? "The package XYZ has severe bug that is fixed in n+0.1 version and the fixed version is already in unstable, I wait happy until the day it will find it's way to stable"? I cannot imagine. And usage of testing is "destination unreachable" for me. If I can't do the work on the system, If I even cannot get system working, I can't use it, thus I can't test it.

Yes, I'm lame, I use GNU/Linux for one year only, on few servers only, and It's my fault I'm not enough geek to make sarge running. It's not necessarry for anybody to tell it to me.

Does somebody know what I'm talking about? If it's difficult to interact with Debian for me being man, It's no wonder for me that it's difficult for woman :o)

Despite all of this, I love Debian, I use it, I live with the Woody's bugs and I await next stable that I could use with more pleasure (hopefully).

Peter