Re: The "Free" vs. "Non-Free" issue

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:04:58PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> I'm not quite sure I follow...  I said that just to point out that, at
> any given time, non-free will contain software that someone finds vital.
> I merely say that because I don't think the "just re-implement
> everything as Free Software" argument holds any water.

What, specifically, do you mean by this not holding any
water statement?

I can think of several mutually contradictory interpretations,
some I think are false, some I think are true but irrelevant
to the issue of getting rid of non free.

> > Also, you seem to have overlooked one of my questions:

> My apologies; I'm not quite sure what you're trying to ask here.  Can
> you rephrase?

I'm asking you what your basis for your drive to get rid of non-free is.

If your rationale is "because it doesn't comply with the Debian Free
Software Guidelines", I'm rejecting that because the social contract
and the DFSG were written as a single document, with DFSG being the
definition of "Free" used in the rest of the document.

--
Raul