Re: GRs, irrelevant amendments, and insincere voting

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 01:10:51PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> If it does, and is reasked, what's to stop a group of 6 people[1] from
> proposing an "amendment" that guts the original proposal down to nothing
> but uncontroversial cosmetic alterations?

Nothing.

At that point you have an amendment, which (presuming 6 is sufficient
at that time) will be included on the ballot.

If a sufficient majority (many more than 6) votes for that amendment,
it wins.  Otherwise, it doesn't win.

> This transforms our majoritarian system into one where a very small
> minority has veto power over any proposal -- even ones supposedly
> subject to a regular majority vote.

How is an amendment appearing on the ballot equivalent to a veto?

--
Raul