Re: Constitutional amendment: Condorcet/Clone Proof SSD vote tallying

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 03:43:03PM -0400, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> > your favourite option up (from 0 to 0.5 in this example above), but they
> > also increase the odds of the default option getting up (again, from 0 to
> > 0.5). That's a gamble, not a strategy.
> Tell that to a gambler.

Gamblers do it because (a) they're addicted and can't help themselves,
(b) because the entertainment is worth the negative odds or (c) because
they've got a rational expectation of winning more than they lose. The
latter's what makes a strategy, and is what pool sharks and card counters
do, eg. But there aren't really any systems that give you reliable odds
doing better than voting sincerely afaict.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''