Re: Constitutional amendment: Condorcet/Clone Proof SSD vote tallying

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 04:33:05PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 10:33:31AM -0400, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> > > Which makes D win, rather than A, B or C.
> > Unfortunately, that doesn't mean this is not the best strategy.
>
> Sure it does: if their sincere preferences were "A,B,C > D" in all cases,
> (whatever their preferences amongst A, B and C) then they've all got
> the worst possible result.
>
> > It could be that the best strategy, applied by everyone, tends to
> > produce stalemate.  :-/
>
> If that's not what they want, then, by definition it's not the best
> possible strategy.

I can't do a full analysis, but that's surely too simplistic.  This
is the whole prisoner's dilemma problem.  You can definitely have
situations where both players are "forced" into the worst result.

> For example, [snip]

Sorry, those numbers are entirely arbitrary.  Change them a bit, and
they point the other direction.

> > However, throw in one more ADBC vote, and Concorcet+SSD will declare
> > A the winner, whereas the proposed method will be stuck on D.
>
> Huh?

Oops, my mind was on situations where Concorcet+SSD was more
strategy resistant, and I got carried away.

> Note that if your strategy is "keep rerunning the vote 'til everyone
> agrees that A is the best", then your sincere preference really is "ADBC"
> -- that is, you really do think further discussion is a better result
> than B or C.

That is a distinction worth appreciating, and I incorporated it into
my last message.  However, in the above I was assuming that D was
sincerely ranked below the other options by everyone.

Andrew