Re: Hybrid Theory

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 11:51:27AM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> A defeats b 8:3
> c defeats A 8:3
> b defeats c 6:5
> eliminate 6:5

Sorry, I don't buy this. You're looking to choose amongst A, b, c and
N to work out what should be done. A can't win, since it doesn't have
supermajority support, leaving b, c and N. Amongst just b, and c, the
majority of the voters prefer b. There are also majorities that prefer
both b to N and c to N.

That seems to me to be a *perfectly* reasonable chain of logic to declare
b the winner.

Which is to say, rather than telling the people who voted b>c, "sorry,
there weren't very many of you, so your vote doesn't count", I'd be
happier telling the people who voted A>b, "sorry, your option didn't make
its supermajority so could never have won, so your vote doesn't count".

Alternately. Suppose you select A as the winner. Who can
complain? Everyone who voted N>A, since it didn't make supermajority,
and everyone who voted c>A. So you can't do that. Suppose you select
c as the winner? Then the people who voted for b can complain, which
is more than half the people who voted. If you select b as the winner,
only the people who voted for A can complain -- but you can tell them
"sorry, but your option had no chance anyway because of the supermajority
requirement". There's no need to work out the smallest majority to
offend, because you've got an actual _justification_ to answer the A
voters objections: that they failed supermajority.

> > Define "like Condorcet".
> Same outcome as Condorcet for the same votes.

Heh. Condorcet doesn't produce a winner for the case you give; it only
does so when there is a single option that defeats every other option.
That the winner should be a member of the Smith or Schwartz sets is also
satisfied. The only thing that isn't is whether or not ties are broken
in the same way.

Cheers,
aj