Re: [Fwd: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender]

On Wednesday, March 27, 2002, at 01:41 AM, Anthony Towns wrote:

BTW, if there are only a couple of unknowns about the original message
(like, say, the order of the numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4), it's pretty
straightforward to recover it from just a cryptographic signature.

Yep. Brute force is quite effective when n is low. Suffice it to say, aj knows your votes now and will use it --- somehow[0] --- in his nefarious schemes to get Woody out the door before pigs can read mail[1][2].

There are ways to avoid this problem, of course, but Debian doesn't use them. Applied Crypto devotes far too many pages too the subject of secure elections.

[0] He hasn't been to clear on how, offering merely a 'mwahahaha'
    as explanation.
[1] it is said that all programs will continue to bloat until
    they can read email. Or www, if you're one of those new-
    fangled type. I believe we can consider a pig a program
    for the purpose of this discussion.
[2] Some might argue that this has already happened. See
    <http://packages.debian.org/unstable/editors/emacs21.html>