Re: Some questions for the candidates...

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 09:34:21PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 23:19:40 +0000
> Jules Bean <jules@jellybean.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 05:05:53AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > To take a fairly trivial example from -devel right now: people have been
> > > going on and on about wanting to make Packages files easier to download
> > > for ages now, and the threads take the exact same path each time:
> > > "let's split them", "oh wait, that doesn't work properly", "let's make
> > > them incremental", "well, why not use rsync", "no, let's rearrange the
> > > archive" and we end up without any consensus, nor anything that works
> > > with existing tools, nor an actual fix for the problem.
> >
> > Actually, that one was solved, by Ben Bell. He set up the scripts to
> > calculate teh diffs, do the md5sum checks for consistency, download,
> > apply etc.

> if that's not an official solution, that'll be integrated in apt or on
> the server side, that's not solved... a shell script to create diffs
> on people.debian.org/~kov and bring them to my machine is easy to create,
> but that's not useful at all for the project

This answer is not directed at Gustavo. My use of the second person is
intended to be impersonal!

You can't have it both ways!  The standard Debian answer to a good
idea is 'show us the code'. Well, in this case, the code was written
and demonstrated.  It would obviously not be difficult to integrate it
with the tools available if we wanted to; perhaps we don't.  But the
code has been written as proof of concept. And it is a significant
time saving for people with slow links who like to update their
Packages files frequently.

Jules