Re: Some questions for the candidates...

aj@azure.humbug.org.au (Anthony Towns) writes:

> On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 03:57:15AM -0700, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> > > As DPL, how will you ensure the technical goals in your platform are
> > > achieved?
> > Leverage.
>
> (Surely I'm not the only one that immediately thought of blackmail when
> Bdale wrote that?)

Hehe.  Actually, that's not what I was thinking about... I had in mind the
physical idea of a lever, where a small amount of pressure applied in the
right place can make significant things happen at the other end.  I think a
big part of a leader's job is to try and identify those activities where
lending a little support can make something good happen faster or better
than it would otherwise.

> > The key to getting my goals accomplished will be doing a good enough job
> > explaining my ideas and showing how they align with our long-term vision,
> > that others are motivated to go out and do the work required to make them
> > happen.

> There's a lot to be said, in my opinion, for having someone get in amongst
> the people with the clever ideas and to bang their heads against all the
> issues they're conveniently ignoring until they actually manage to come
> up with something practical.

Section 5.1.9 in our constitution addresses this directly, by encouraging the
DPL to lead discussions towards key issues.  Your idea is one of the things I
was thinking about when I said in my platform that "The primary role of the
leader is facilitation, which comes in many forms."  I'm very good at clearly
and directly articulating what seem to me to be the key ideas in a discussion,
which is often all it takes...

Bdale