Re: diplomacy, courtesy, and all that good stuff

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 05:01:47PM +0100, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 04:56:13AM -0500, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> > What would you like to see experimental used for?
>
> Now I'm feeling guilty for this, as I brought up the X4.2 subject in
> humorous tone (I guess I failed).
>
> I don't want to speak for Branden, but it's easy: first, fix up 4.1.0 to
> get it releasable. Once that is done, then he'll work on 4.2 and it's
> not up to him if it'll go in woody or not.
> If you look at the XSF, step one is actively worked on.

And we will release woody with 4.1.0 while 4.3.0 is released, isn't it, given
XFree86 6 month release cycle, this makes us have 1 year old X packages or a
outdated woody before it is even released.

That said, this is no critic against Branden, i understand its reasons, and
much prefer a working 4.1.0 than a buggy 4.2.0 in woody. But then i am using
my own built X server anyway, so ...

Friendly,

Sven Luther