Re: Can SPI treasurer and DPL be done by the same person?

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 10:15:53PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I guess this question is specific to Branden, sorry if it was already
> answered elsewhere:
>
> 1. Is it possible to be SPI treasurer and DPL simultaneously?
>
> 2. If so, would you keep your position as treasurer if elected?
>
> I think you're doing quite a good job there and it would be a pity if we
> had to look for a new treasurer.

These questions are answered in my platform; in short, the answers are "I think
so, yes", and "if possible, yes".

IV. DEBIAN'S RELATIONSHIP WITH SPI

Here is another issue where substantial progress has been made since last
year.  However, in my opinion, this progress has been insufficient.  SPI is
in much better shape than it was one year ago, but there is still much to
be done.

As Debian Project Leader, it is my intention to recruit volunteers on
behalf of SPI and attempt to grow the organization.

As SPI Treasurer I am aware that there is a risk of a perceived conflict of
interest if I am also elected DPL.  I will do whatever is necessary to
ensure that any such perception is unfounded and refutable.  I think the
appointment of a "shadow treasurer" who also receives all mail sent to the
SPI Treasurer and to whom I CC all correspondence as SPI Treasurer (as it
happens, I already CC the entire SPI board on such correspondence when
functioning as SPI Treasurer) would help to achieve this.

I am prepared to resign one of these two offices if the general consensus
is that it is completely impossible for me function in both of these roles
without jeopardizing either organization.  However, I am confident that
this is a problem that can be solved through accountability and visibility.
It is my intent to resign as SPI Treasurer as soon as there are procedures
in place to enable future Treasurers to do their jobs efficiently, rather
than having to inherit headaches from previous Treasurers who may have
neglected their duties.

(See http://www.debian.org/vote/2002/platforms/branden for the rest of my
platform.)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I am sorry, but what you have
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    mistaken for malicious intent is