Re: supermajority options

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 08:20:00PM +0200, Richard Braakman wrote:
> I think we could have this benefit even without a supermajority
> requirement, because our voting system is more sophisticated than
> the yes/no model you're using.  Suppose an option wins with only 51:49
> support.  Just like in your scenario, the losers are pissed and
> organize a new vote.  However, both camps are now aware of how close
> the margin is, so it's likely that several compromise options will
> be added to the ballot, and those are likely to win with a larger
> margin.

Even then, I think what you're talking about is a worst-case scenario.

I think any even mildly contentious proposal is going to see multiple
versions on the ballot, as people wrestle with the best way to
accomplish the goals they have in mind, and as different groups make
different concessions to opposition groups.  The Condorcet/CSSD method
should enable us to gather some very useful demographic data quite apart
from the strict purpose of determining a winner.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |          Measure with micrometer,
Debian GNU/Linux                   |          mark with chalk,