Non-free Proposal

First of all, I want to apologize for "disappearing".  Originally I was
allowed time from work to perform Debian duties.  I have taken steps to
correct the lack of time that will, shortly, be announced. :)  In the mean
time, please forgive my lapse.  Here is what I found after reading the
volumes of email and discussing the issue.  Due to my lapse, I will wait one
more week before sending out the first ballot.  I wish to give everybody the
chance to read the initial exchange and familiarize themselves with the
issue again.  I am going to assume that another flame^H^H^H^H^Hdebate will occur,
this seems to be they way Debian likes to talk about things but to my way of
thinking, it's the original discussion that is important.  The "debates" tend
to have no significant contributions.

WHEREAS,
The Debian Constitution is a very important document to Debian.  The Social
Contract and DFSG are as important or even more important than the
Constitution.  Because of its importance, the Social Contract can not be
left to the General Resolution methods for change.  The intent of the
Constitution was to protect key elements of Debian as well as provide a
structured method for conflict resolution and change.  The framers of the
Constitution did not directly name the Social Contract to prevent it's
change but the Social Contract can not be treated as lesser than the
Constitution.

THEREFORE,
Since the proposed amendment introduced in the email archived at:

http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-vote-0006/msg00018.html

And seconded by these messages:

    http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-vote-0006/msg00031.html
    http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-vote-0006/msg00035.html
    http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-vote-0006/msg00039.html
    http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-vote-0006/msg00037.html
    http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-vote-0006/msg00038.html

changes the text of the original proposal found at
http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-vote-0006/msg00000.html

and seconded by:
    http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-vote-0006/msg00005.html
    http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-vote-0006/msg00013.html
    http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-vote-0006/msg00056.html
    http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-vote-0006/msg00019.html
    http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-vote-0006/msg00011.html

We will have to conduct two separate ballots.  The first question is the
acceptance or rejection of the amendment.  The outcome of that vote will
determine if the proposal is voted under the General Resolution quorum or
the Important Documents (constitution) quorum.

Darren Benham
Project Secretary