Re: Condorcet Voting and Supermajorities (Re: [CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT] Disambiguation of 4.1.5)

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 02:53:15AM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> A.6(3)  A supermajority requirement of n:m for an option A means that
> 	when votes are considered which indicate option A as a better
> 	choice than some other option B, the number of votes in favor
> 	of A are multiplied by m/n.

This gives different results to the current system when two options on
a single ballot would require different supermajorities to pass.

Please reread:
    Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 10:07:24 +1000

and:
    Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 14:44:40 +1000

for the explanation.

A much fairer supermajority requirement would simply be:

A.6(3) A supermajority of N:M for an option A is met when the number of
       votes ranking A higher than the default option, divided by N is
       greater than than the number of votes ranking the default option
       higher than A.

However it's not clear what should happen when the clear winner of a set
of options doesn't meet its supermajority requirement, yet a loser (with
a different supermajority requirement) does. It's similarly unclear what
should happen if the winner doesn't meet its supermajority requirments,
but some other member of the Smith set does.

I would suggest something to the effect of:

	* Reduce to the Smith Set
	* Eliminate options that don't meet the supermajority requirement
	* If none left -> default option wins
	* If one left -> it wins
	* If many left, use some tie-breaker, eg STV, Tideman, Schulze

Somewhat more detailed discussion of that sort of method is back in:

	Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 19:42:44 +1000

Cheers,
aj

     ``Thanks to all avid pokers out there''