Re: The constitution and the social contract

> 	Show me. Show me the gag order that apparently comes with this
>  job. The constitution is open to all of us. Chapter and verse, please.

I certainly did not intend to say that there is some kind of legal
requirement that the secratary preserve neutrality.

I merely assert that it's a really good idea.

People have, in fact, asserted that the current secretary allowed his
personal opinions on John Goerzen's measure to influence his
decision.  I don't have any idea if that's true; I have no idea what
Darren's opinions even are on the measure, and I certainly trust him
to do his best to keep the separate.

But that's not the problem.  In an old phrase, the mere appearance of
a conflict of interest must be avoided.  It's not about trust; I
certainly trust everyone involved.

>  If we have people so are so susceptible to suggestion that a
>  pronouncement by the person perfoming the clerical duties of running
>  a vote are likely to change their votes, hell, their opinion is not
>  likely to be a great help anyway.

If the secretary were merely a clerical functionary, then I wouldn't
have this issue.  But the secretary is also the Official Interpreter
Of The Constitution, and that is something where neutrality is
required.

>  And then, the secretary only counts votes and sends out ballots, so
>  when there is an opinion in the mail, I cunningly deduce it si Raul
>  the developer speaking.

If this were a correct list of the secretary's responsibilities, I'd
agree.  But it's not.

> 	Folks, can we please stop grand standing and get the bloody
>  show on the road, please?

Yes.  Please.  That takes Darren, Raul, and Wichert doing so.

Thomas