Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org

I already mentioned a while ago that I think that the distinction
between main and contrib & non-free is becoming less clear, both
to users and developers.

The Debian distribution itself consists only of the main-tree. Contrib
and non-free are there mostly as a (popular) service to our users. But
the distinction isn't as visible as it used to be; advances in searching
in the distribution and tools like apt make it very hard to see when
something is in main and when not. Just using seperate trees in the
archive isn't as effective a method making the distinction anymore as it
used to be.

The social contract has as the very first item `Debian Will Remain 100%
Free Software'. So we need to do something to make once again clear
to everyone exactly what Debian is and show more clearly what we don't
consider to be free. I see two ways of doing that:

I. Create a new host, nonfree.debian.org and move non-free and contrib
   there and ask our mirrors if they can consider also mirroring that.

II. Create a new host, official.debian.org and copy main there and use
   that consistantly when we refer to the Debian distribution.

Personally I strongly prefer the first option: it makes it much more
clear that the Debian distribution contains only DFSG-free software,
and that contrib and nonfree are an extra.

I hereby propose to resolve this matter by General Resolution (ie a
vote).

The ballot will contain the options:

1) create nonfree.debian.org domain
2) create official.debian.org domain
3) keep the current situation
4) further discussion

We'll determine the exact number of voters, Q and the quorum at the
time the call for votes is send out. Since this resolution is proposed
by me acting as the Project Leader no sponsors are required.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl