Re: going further off topic (was Re: "keep non-free" proposal)

On 2004-01-30 07:45:57 +0000 Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

He's never named another individual who agrees with him on these points.

I do not know the internal structure of the FSF USA nor its decisions about this. RMS may be accurately reporting its view and able to commit it to a view.

There was one other FSF person who appeared to have similar views (Georg Greve), but he had some much weirder and even more poorly defended claims which RMS never made, including the idea that it was legally necessary in France to prohibit modification of essays without the author's consent.

Georg Greve is the president of FSF Europe and has worked on a robust rights assignment document for European-based projects. He may have more information which he could not publish in a timely manner, and therefore left the discussion. A version 1.0 document is available at http://www.fsfeurope.org/projects/fla/fla.en.html but there is little background info so far, which is the relevant bit for this. It is possible that some limits exist in France, but I still doubt that they should be enforced by a copyright licence.

The FLA has a clause committing FSFE to only produce GPL and LGPL free software from it. Last time I read a FSF Copyright Assignment (2002), I don't think it had a similar clause. Sadly, the FLA only covers computer programs, not documentation.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at