Re: one of the many reasons why removing non-free is a dumb idea

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 20:22:03 -0600, John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> said:

> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 05:51:05PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
>> Could you please explain how you reconcile "restricting our users'
>> freedoms is wrong" with a proposal that would reduce our users'
>> ability to choose non-free software?  Or, if you believe that there
>> will be no (statistically significant) reduction in users' choice
>> resulting from moving non-free packages to a separate
>> infrastructure, could you please explain what you foresee the
>> mechanics of this to be, in light of Anthony Towns' persuasive
>> argument that creation of a separate archive will make
>> substantially less efficient use of available developer

> I do not believe that users' ability to choose non-free software
> will be impaired.

	I wish I could be as sanguine that the infrastructure needed
 would magically spring up somehow.

> Even in the absolute worst possible scenario for them -- non-free
> simply perishes -- they will still be able to download and compile
> (or install) the software for Debian just the same as they could for
> Solaris or AIX.

	I would call that an impairement, compared to what they have
 today.

> We can, though, learn from experience.  I have been involved with
> maintaining complete infrastructures outside Debian, complete with
> repository and bug-tracking system (not debbugs; gnats, I think).
> While doing so, I participated both with standard Debian work and
> with work on the non-Debian system.  I found it to be no great
> inconvenience at all; a simple flick of a switch to dupload and care
> with GPG keys was all it took.

	Umm. The infrastructure does not spring into being and
 maintain itself, you know. And that effort would be someting that
 could well have been spent on Debian.

> Hopping between BTSs was no great trouble either; and if both can
> interact via e-mail, it need not even require conscious thought.

	I think I agree -- one it is in place. Would it be?

	manoj
--
I hate trolls.  Maybe I could metamorph it into something else -- like
a ravenous, two-headed, fire-breathing dragon. Willow