Re: GR: Removal of non-free

On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 12:00:02PM +0200, Kalle Kivimaa wrote:
> Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> writes:
> > Read the proposed resolution carefully, and note the tenses in
> > particular. It's carefully written so as not to conflict with the
> > social contract (as currently written); the practical implications are
> > just modified in the presence of clause 5.
>
> "Uploads to the non-free section of the archive will be disabled as
> soon as is feasible. The Debian project will cease active support of
> the non-free section."
>
> This does sound to me like not supporting the use of non-free software
> and not providing infrastructure for it. I guess I still qualify for
> the thicko-of-the-week prize but I do think that it goes against
> clause 5 of the SC.

Note that both of those sentences are future tense, and do not set a
time limit. They're at least as legitimate as any resolution that
modifies the social contract (which, by definition, will not strictly
comply with the version in force at the time the GR is passed).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |