Re: Proposed General Resolution : IRC as a Debian communication channel

 Raphael> Le Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 09:37:23PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava écrivait:
 >> I am certain many Bay area restaurants in silicon valley may
 >> also qualify.  But that does not give Debian the right to determine
 >> policy for the restaurant.

 Raphael> Strictly speaking, it's not exactly the same. A restaurant
 Raphael> has limited place and is located on a physical area. A
 Raphael> channel isn't. People all over from the world can join.

	Apart from belabouring the obvious, you have said little else here.

 Raphael> You may think whatever you want, but a private channel where
 Raphael> much of the Debian day to day (administrative) work get
 Raphael> coordinated is part of Debian resources directly or
 Raphael> indirectly.

	aJust because you assert it to be so? So, the local golf club,
 where a lot of my company business actually gets done, somehow
 belongs to my company?

 Raphael> A channel with more than 100 developers at any time of the
 Raphael> day IS representative of Debian ... now, since the channel
 Raphael> founder IS a debian developer and since the channel's topic
 Raphael> is DEBIAN DEVELOPMENT, we CAN decide of a policy since WE
 Raphael> HAVE THE TOOLS to enforce a policy.

	Rubbish. Wehn a hundred or se debian developers go to a hotel,
 and stay there for days and days, and spend all their time talking
 debian business, and the invoker of this meeting is debian developer,
 now gves us a right to make hotel/university policy?

 Raphael> Branden said that he would respect whatever policy we come
 Raphael> up with (and "come up with" implies IMO either a consensus
 Raphael> (which we'll probably won't have) or a formal decision like
 Raphael> a GR). I don't know the opinion of Wichert, but I think that
 Raphael> he would also respect such a decision given his position in
 Raphael> Debian.

	What branden does, or does not do, on his own time as an OPN
 chanop, really should be unrelated to the GR.

	manoj
--
 After an instrument has been assembled, extra components will be
 found on the bench.