Re: Some questions for the DPL candidates

>> Brian May <bam@debian.org> writes:

 > I wouldn't want an elected DPL to blindly do X, because that is what
 > he/she promised before the election, when new evidence comes to light
 > that indicates that X is bad (eg. perhaps some new solution Y is
 > suggested that removes the need for X).

 This subthread is getting more than mildly annoying.  Back to what
 Branden said:

 > * Fish or cut bait with respect to non-free, and pass any
 >   constitutional amendments necessary to permit us to make that choice;

 Craig is right, this is a bit more definite than what Branden had
 expressed up to that point.  I had to look the idiom on a dictionary,
 and was left wondering about what exactly Branden means.  "Fish or cut
 bait" means, according to the Random House Dictionary of Proverbs, "do
 your job or let somebody else do it".  Particularly, it doesn't mean
 "come to a final resolution".  I'm not looking for hidden agendas here,
 but I had to keep in mind two pieces of information: 1) Branden is
 knwon to brag about his masterful English knowledge; 2) Branden has
 expressed at some point his desire to get *rid* of non-free (but not on
 a public mailing list, AFAICR)

 That said, the beauty about this quote is that it's annoyingly
 multivalented.  I would also have liked to know what Branden meant by
 it, and I think that Craig's question was, before so many people made
 sure it won't get any kind of useful answer, valid.  Sadly, that's no
 longer the case, because it has been tainted with meanings it didn't
 had.  And it would had been nice if it would had been answered by
 Braden, not by people won't aren't even running for DPL.

 This whole thing isn't so much about the answer to a silly question,
 but about building an image of a person running for DPL.  I can't avoid
 noticing that Branden has changed his ways, specifically, he has been
 refraining from flaming people.  I can't decide if that's a good thing
 or not.  On one hand, it's nice to see less gratuitous (and bordering
 on silly) flaming.  On the other hand, the conspiracy theorist in you
 can't avoid asking himself if this isn't just an "image" thing.

--
Marcelo