Re: Non-Constitutional Voting Procedure

I agree with Matthew here.

In <14806.836.400526.470133@rapun.sel.cam.ac.uk>,
 on "Sat, 30 Sep 2000 16:14:12 +0100 (BST)",
 with "Re: Non-Constitutional Voting Procedure",
  Matthew Vernon <matthew@sel.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Jordi Mallach writes:

>  > No. There's nothing wrong if someone feels dissapointed if "no" wins by 80%.
>  > It would mean that a brutal majority of the Debian developers care little
>  > about the politics of the Project. I would not find that result very
>  > amusing, that's for sure.
>
> Alternatively, that they care deeply about the politics of the Project
> but feel they would be poorly served by this GR.

I suppose if a "brutal"(?) majority of the Debian developers do
NOT care about the politics of the Project, then these disputes
won't happen at all, and that GR might be just ignored to vanity.

I believe the developers do care deeply.  The choice they take
(either yes or no) should NOT be used to measure the care they have.
It just be taken as their opinions.

Each person (including Jordi) can have one's own opinion, and
I agree that there's nothing wrong that someone feels disappointed
if each side wins.

I'll be disapointed that if the Project dictates that Debian developers
should not act to ask the authors of the (current) non-free softwares
to change the license (To maintain the non-free packages is very useful
and effective strategy to do this).

Many developers may know the current main (DSFG-free) softwares includes
many ones which had been non-free (DSFG-incompatible).  Those softwares
show the effect that developers worked out to spread the spirit and idea
of the DFSG.  The DFSG does have compromise, but it shows the wise of
the authors/creators of that document.

If there are totally useless/broken softwares in "any" area of the archive,
then I think the best solution is to file the bug reports to get rid of
the specific softwares with the descriptive reasons.  We do not get rid of
whole the archive when we find some nasty/dreadfull security hole in our
main softwares (such as kernel or libc), do we ?

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>