Re: How to create a custom Debian ISO

Hi,

Aditya Garg wrote:
> I would prefer making the ISO as similar to the official Debian ISO and just
> replace the Debian kernel with the customised kernel.

In that case, i'd go along
  https://wiki.debian.org/RepackBootableISO
Either by using the xorrisofs options in /.disk/mkisofs of the ISO :

  https://wiki.debian.org/RepackBootableISO#Learn_about_the_actually_used_ISO_production_command

or by relying on the capability of xorriso to determine the commands
which will reproduce the boot equipmemt of the loaded ISO :

  https://wiki.debian.org/RepackBootableISO#In_xorriso_load_ISO_tree_and_write_modified_new_ISO

If you need help with finding the appropriate xorriso commands, ask me
in private or in public at bug-xorriso@gnu.org .

What remains is to find out whether this works out of the box or whether
the kernel has to be announced in some files of the ISO or even
cryptographically signed in some way.

------

Just in case your adventure goes beyond replacing the kernel and possibly
the boot loader menu files, i warn of a bug in xorriso-1.5.6 and older:
Don't overwrite the El Torito boot image files in a xorriso run that uses
  -boot_image "any" "replay"
The boot image files in Debian amd64 ISOs are /isolinux/isolinux.bin
and /boot/grub/efi.img .
If you need to replace them, then we have to talk.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas