Re: any usbip users

On 2024-05-14 18:28, fxkl47BF@protonmail.com wrote:
> i was plundering around and found a new, to me, utility
> is any one using usbip
> is it usable or cluncky
> sounds like it might be handy

I use it to forward a usb device that I do not trust to a VM. I
use usbauth to protect the host, and I seem to remember having
trouble coercing libvirt to pass a usb device with untrusted
interfaces (or maybe libvirt could only forward usb interfaces?).
So I resorted to usbip, which allowed me to forward a usb device
with no trusted interfaces.

My biggest complaint is that there was no way to have usbip
communicate over a domain socket (or better still, stdin/stdout).
Then again, it's right there in the name, so can I really complain
about that?

I found forwarding ports to be "clunky", but I'm pretty sure
a lot of other people would have found redirecting unix
pipes to be clunky to them.

To each their own, I suppose.  I otherwise found it delightfully
simple and effective.

Antonio