Re: Debian non-free-firmware policy making OS misleading and Free Software unfriendly

On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 05:02:09PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> Maybe `reportbug debian-installer`?
> > but perhaps without all the deception crap, unless you really mean
> > to impugn the developers' motives.
>
> Yup, better try to make the developers/maintainers your friends, so you
> may get them to do something with which they disagree just to make you
> happy, rather than refuse to do something out of spite, even tho they
> know it's right.

Hi Stefan,

As you say, there are ways to get the developers to pay attention to
you. One of them, at least, is to be constructive and to assume good
faith. Developers will often take the best technical solution rather
than doing it "just to make you happy".

Rarely do developers do something out of spite though there may be
massive technical disagreements. It's probably worth remembering
that Debian developers are also users of Debian - and that we're
all more or less on the same side.

Imputation of bad faith (or snarky comments) don't help either the
person commented on or the reputation of the commenter, necessarily.

With every good wish, as ever,

Andrew Cater
[amacater@debian.org]