Re: Automatic reboot on kernel crash in Debian 12 - how?

On 16 Apr 2024 11:22 +0200, from george@nsup.org (Nicolas George):
>> Do I need to set some more settings to ensure that the system will
>> automatically reboot on a panic? If so, what?
>
> If the crash was bad enough to freeze the kernel before it could
> trigger the reboot, there is nothing the software can do.
>
> You need a hardware watchdog.

Are you saying that the settings themselves are reasonable for the
purpose, and that this particular crash just happened to be such a one
that no software running on the system in question can reasonably help
with that scenario?

This happened on a VM that I can't directly influence the hardware
configuration of (a commercially provided VPS), but I should be able
to jury-rig something using the provider's API if necessary.

--
Michael Kjörling                     🔗 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”