Re: HDD long-term data storage with ensured integrity

On 10/04/2024 12:10, David Christensen wrote:
Those sound like some compelling features.

I believe the last time I tried Btrfs was Debian 9 (?).  I ran into
problems because I did not do the required manual maintenance
(rebalancing).  Does the Btrfs in Debian 11 or Debian 12 still require
manual maintenance?  If so, what and how often?

I don't do balance at all, it's not required.

Scrub is recommended, because it will detect any bit-rot due to hardware
errors on HDD media. It scans the entire surface of allocated sectors on
all drives. I do scrub usually monthly.

--
With kindest regards, Piotr.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀