Re: HDD long-term data storage with ensured integrity

On Tue Apr 2, 2024 at 10:57 PM BST, David Christensen wrote:
> AIUI neither LVM nor ext4 have data and metadata checksum and correction
> features.  But, it should be possible to achieve such by including
> dm-integrity (for checksumming) and some form of RAID (for correction)
> in the storage stack.  I need to explore that possibility further.

It would be nice to have checksumming and parity stuff in the filesystem
layer, as BTRFS and XFS offer, but failing that, you can do it above
that layer using tried-and-tested tools such as sha1sum, par2, etc.

I personally would not rely upon RAID for anything except availability.
My advice is once you've detected corruption, which is exceedingly rare,
restore from backup.

--
Please do not CC me for listmail.

👱🏻	Jonathan Dowland