Re: making Debian secure by default

Joe writes:
> Which didn't happen, at least not for two years.

It happened eventually, which is my point.

> I would suggest that for any software as critical as OpenSSL, more
> than one pair of eyes would have been appropriate *before* release.

I would suggest that critical projects such as OpenSSL need to practice
a form of "dependecy management" analogous to "supply chain management":
track dependency chains and periodically re-qualify each level.  A full
audit might not be possible but at least look closely enough to notice
when a library is being supported by one overworked guy who is taking
patches from random strangers.

NOTE: this is just a suggestion.  I don't claim to be any sort of
security expert  nor am I trying to tell anyone what to do.
--
John Hasler
john@sugarbit.com