Re: Home UPS recommendations

On Sat, 2024-02-10 at 08:57 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> hw composed on 2024-02-10 11:01 (UTC+0100):
>
> > On Fri, 2024-02-09 at 22:28 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
>
> > > Those from the above URL are the same spec batteries used in many APC models.
>
> > Maybe, maybe not.  I couldn't get replacement batteries for the UPS
> > from HP not only because HP was so ridiculous as to tell me that I
> > could pay for a support ticket to get a price for the batteries, but
> > also because the replacement batteries I could get had smaller
> > contacts.
>
> Contact size is part of an SLA battery's specs. Small contacts are
> terminal type "F1". I've never encountered a UPS that uses them. All
> I've encountered use terminal type "F2", which is 1/4" or about
> 6.35mm wide spade.

I don't remember how wide the contacts are the UPS from HP uses.
6.35mm is probably a common size, same as yellow connectors use.
There are connectors of the same type that are wider than that.

> > At least you have some cooling.  Basically nobody here has that,
> > though it's probably becoming more widespread because it gets warmer
> > all the time, and it's unbearable in the summer.  Electricity is
> > insanely expensive here and keeps getting more expensive all the time.
>
> It's a big planet. Where is your "here"?

Germany

> > Hm, if the OEM batteries actually lasted 5 years and if what you say
> > is true, they must have been some awesome batteries.  That UPS takes
> > two batteries which are tightly packed, and they can get very warm.
>
> OEM batteries must hold up through warranties, so are probably more
> locally sourced for high quality rather than low cost from
> China. Less expensive UPS models might be designed for a shorter
> expected lifetime, overcharging more as they get older and heat
> takes its toll. It's not something very many consumers are equipped
> to test.

The cheap APC models seem to produce a lot more heat, and their
batteries don't seem to last as long.  They work and they're not
really a good deal.  I don't have test equipment for UPCs, but you can
feel how warm they get and see how cheaply they're built without
special equipment.