Re: testing new sdm drive

On 09/02/2024 20:23, Dan Ritter wrote:
I would (I have, in the past) generate a non-random but mostly
incompressible large file

There are 2 kinds of random number generators:
- Cryptographic grade are intentionally hard to predict
- Pseudo-random

A pseudo-random generator of reasonable quality allows to get long enough non-repeating sequence. It can be reproduced if its initial state is saved. This property is used for Monte-Carlo simulations in physics, etc.

So you may save a hundred bytes and may check if several Tb generated from it is the same.

Is there a reason to avoid the f3 tool? I have tried it only on 32G USB and µSD cards, however I do not see a reason why I can not be used for a SSD.

As another test I would leave a suspicious drive for a month unpowered and check if data are not corrupted. I think, a scenario like
https://blog.gsmarena.com/how-do-you-spot-fake-chinese-usb-hard-drives-well-you-take-them-apart/
is a pessimistic one. A more realistic case is faulty chips with leaking memory cells that did not pass quality control.