Re: what keyboard do you use?

On Fri, 2024-02-02 at 20:25 -0500, Lee wrote:
> [...]
> I figure there's a high percentage of keyboard jockeys here so ..
> which keyboard do you like and why?

It comes down to your personal preference and on how much you're
willing to pay for a good keybard.  I'm using [1].

I'm using it because I'm finding these buckling spring keyboards the
best variant to type on.  I've never found anything better in the last
40 years.

They also have the advantage that they have a decent size not only for
the keys and their spacing, but also for the housing which is designed
so you can put stuff like pencils on it.

The ones from IBM are so old that they're usually somewhat worn out.
They also have become difficult to get and expensive.  Unless you can
find a new old stock and are willing to pay for it, you're better off
getting one from Unicomp.

I even got a new Model M a couple years ago for a steal, and I still
have it.  I like the Unicomp better because of the extra keys without
which I wouldn't know what to do, and it feels a little better to type
on than the Model M.

As an alternative, you could look for a Cherry G80.  Apparently they
don't make them anymore (And I wouldn't buy anything of what they show
on their web site now.).  It's a pity since they were acceptable
keyboards if you like their switches and if you could get one for a
decent price.  They were built cheaply and somewhat wobbly, and I
don't like that cheapness at all, but the money was in the switches.
When you have one have on your desk for typing it's fine.  The
switches are good (though I don't particularly like them, but that's
personal preference) and not in any way cheap or wobbly.

I would like Outemu switches way better than the Cherry ones if the
Outemu ones weren't so wobbly.  They give me nicer feedback while the
Cherry switches feel like nothing (perhaps that's intentional), and
I'm finding their way of travel too small while the Outemu switches
seem to travel a little further.  If you can find a keyboard with
Outemus, it might be worth a try.

Stay away from these so-called 'gaming keyboards'.  Everything that's
labled 'gaming' is usually either incompatible, otherwise bad, or
overpriced, or all of that at the same time.  So if you find a 'gaming
keyboard' at least make sure it's compatible before buying.

[1]:
https://www.pckeyboard.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=UB40B5A