Re: systemd-timesyncd

On 08/01/2024 02:51, gene heskett wrote:
When I found the /etc/systemd/timesyncd I immediately asked the system for man timesyncd, got this:
gene@coyote:/etc$ man timesyncd
No manual entry for timesyncd

Isn't it /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf, not /etc/systemd/timesyncd? It might be a reason why systemd-timesyncd did not follow configuration.

Did looked into this file? On Debian 12 bookworm it contains (I have no idea concerning modification by Chinese 3d printers manufacturers on the top of Debian-derivatives):

     # See timesyncd.conf(5) for details.

I do not see any problem with the /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf file documented in "man timesyncd.conf".

Besides appropos(1) (or "man -k") and "systemctl help" already mentioned in this thread, there are another ways

dpkg -S /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf
systemd-timesyncd: /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf

dpkg -L systemd-timesyncd | grep /man/
/usr/share/man/man5
/usr/share/man/man5/timesyncd.conf.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man8
/usr/share/man/man8/systemd-timesyncd.service.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/timesyncd.conf.d.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/systemd-timesyncd.8.gz

These tools do not rely on remote content and should work even if a twisted pair cable has a degraded hot magenta wire. Certainly arbitrary failures may be expected if Chrome has stolen port 80 and Firefox is under an attack of an antivirus.