Re: ntpsec as server questions

On 07/12/2023 06:11, Pocket wrote:

Because DST was not in force/usage except the metro NYC. Every where else didn't use/have it.

That makes EST5DST correct except for NYC and America/New_York completely incorrect except of course NYC.

Which is why I prefer to use EST5DST

It may be a valid reason, however
- You stated that you do not care concerning historical timestamps.
- It is still unclear for me for what territory EST5EDT is more correct than America/New_York or another similar timezone. My expectation is that America/New_York is accurate at least for New York and America/Detroit is accurate for Detroit.
- EST5EDT in Debian is extension in respect to POSIX.
- America/New_York and EST2EDT are both provided by the same tzdata package, so quality of America/New_York is not worse.
- IANA TZ DB does not support timezones disappeared before 1970.
  <https://data.iana.org/time-zones/theory.html#accuracy>
- After 1970 these timezones have no discrepancy.

BTW there isn't any timezone called America/New_York, it is or course the Eastern Standard Time Zone.

America/New_your should actually be called America/Eastern.  The POSIX EST5DST is closer to being correct.

For me America/New_York is just an identifier. Perhaps you do not like this city for some reason, but for me it has no negative context. Decisions related to identifiers are clarified in
<https://data.iana.org/time-zones/theory.html#naming>

After all

ls -l /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 May 29 2023 /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern -> ../America/New_York

For most of users I still recommend to stick to names like America/New_York.

I would not neglect IANA TZ DB just because it has usual disclaimer. Despite POSIX is a standard, I see efforts to keep TZ DB accurate. That is why reputation of IANA, Arthur David Olson, and Paul Eggert has more value for me.