Re: Recommended simple PDF viewer to replace Evince

On Mon 04/12/2023 at 23:12, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have used Evince as my PDF viewer and printer program for many
> years. It still works, but it has been spitting out error messages for
> a very long time. to wit:
>
>     (evince:81435): EvinceView-CRITICAL **: 16:44:57.520: \
>             ev_pixbuf_cache_set_selection_list: \
>             assertion 'EV_IS_PIXBUF_CACHE (pixbuf_cache)' failed
>
> The help option doesn't shed any light to me, but it does reference
> the website. However, every time I've tried the site throws an error.
> That also has been happening for a LONG time.
>
> I would like to use another program which is similar but has good
> documentation. I don't need a heavy duty program like LibreOffice,
> Just something for viewing and printing.

Hi Tom,

I find Atril and Okular to be capable viewers, both with CLI options detailed in

$ man {atril|okular}

I sometimes find Atril less than snappy in displaying (and repainting) graphic-intensive PDFs.

> A bonus would be one with documented CLI use with CUPS printers.

What do you want to do that can't be done with (for example)

$ lp file.pdf

?

I'm not sure what you mean by "CLI use with CUPS printers".

$ man evince

includes

"Print preview options [...]
       --print-settings %s %f
              This sends the full path of the PDF file, f, and the settings of
              the print dialog, s, to evince."

If that was what you meant, I note there seems to be no equivalent documented for atril or okular, but I don't quite understand how "%s" is to be identified/specified etc.  Some other application's print dialog?

Perhaps you or other(s) can enlighten me.

Thanks,
Gareth